Roger Federer reveals injury problem and secret plan for surprise match | Tennis | Sport

1097374.jpg


Federer did not win a Grand Slam title between 2012 and 2017 as his career was thrown into jeopardy because of a serious knee problem.

The Swiss star battled back to his best and claimed the Australian Open title two years ago.

He then rallied to regain his world No 1 crown while taking his Grand Slam title tally up to 20.

However, at 37 years old he has had to strip back his calendar and only participates in select events.

But his one wish would be to travel to South America and Asia to play more competitive matches.

“I would like to play in South America or more often in Asia, to get to know other sand tournaments as well,” Federer said.

“But it is difficult to change all the planning. I could do it with show bouts, they are also casual and cool.

“But since my knee injury, I have played almost no more.”

Federer also revealed he is planning to take his annual Match for Africa exhibition event to South Africa this year.

“My big wish is to make a match for Africa in South Africa. That’s what I’m planning,” he added.

Meanwhile, Federer begun planning his 2020 schedule following his success in Dubai last week.

“My goal is to continue playing,” he said.

“Accordingly, the planning is running – that I will continue the career.

“For the beginning of the year is still a lot unclear, with the Hopman Cup, the new ATP Cup.

“In Dubai, they asked me on Thursday if I could imagine a return.

“I discussed it with my team and spontaneously agreed. Everything goes on for me anyway.”



Source link