Man Utd news LIVE updates: Ed Woodward tracking the new Ronaldo, Pereira confirms talks | Football | Sport

1084083.jpg


Manchester United news LIVE updates: All the latest news and gossip from Old Trafford

Thursday, February 7

  • Manchester United and Real Madrid are keen to sign Benfica attacker Joao Felix
  • He’s been labelled by some as the new Cristiano Ronaldo
  • Manchester United are looking to Italy for summer additions
  • Andreas Pereira has confirmed that he held talks with Brazilian club Santos

Ander Herrera contract

Ander Herrera is keen to stay at Manchester United as discussions over a new contract continue to progress.

The 29-year-old left Athletic Bilbao for Old Trafford in 2014, with the midfielder signing a four-year deal with the option of a further season.

United invoked that clause last year and Herrera’s contract is due to expire at the end of the season.

Although negotiations remain ongoing, the Spaniard’s desire to stay at Old Trafford means there is unlikely to be any major issues.

When asked about his contract after the 1-0 win at Leicester on Sunday, Herrera said: “If I deserve it, I will get it.”

Benatia snub explained

Former Juventus player Medhi Benatia snubbed Manchester United to move to Qatar side Al-Duhail in January.

And the 31-year-old has explained his move to the Middle East.

“I found criticism from the Moroccan sports critics after moving to Doha, but I want everyone to respect my decision because it was the best for me and for my family because I want my kids to grow up in Islamic atmosphere,” he said.

“I could go to clubs in the UAE or Saudi Arabia but I preferred to be with Al Duhail and there [are] a lot of Moroccan players who participated with the national team and were with the Gulf clubs. [Moroccan national team] coach Harvet Rennard knows me well and if he sees that I do not deserve to be with the national team , I will respect this decision.”

The new Cristiano Ronaldo…

Manchester United and Real Madrid are keen to sign Benfica attacker Joao Felix, according to reports.

ESPN claim the two European giants are monitoring his progress and that other clubs including Juventus, Barcelona and AC Milan are all tracking the 19-year-old.

Felix only made his senior debut last August but six goals in 12 Primeira Liga appearances this season has seen him labelled the new Cristiano Ronaldo.

Any team who want to sign him will have to dig deep, though, as he has a release clause of £105million in his contract that runs until June 2023.

Manchester United eye Serie A trio

Manchester United are looking to Italy for summer additions.

That’s according to Manchester Evening News, who claim THREE Serie A defenders on their transfer shortlist.

It’s said Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly, who would likely cost upwards of £100million, is still being monitored.

Inter Milan’s Milan Skriniar and the lesser known Joachim Andersen of Sampdoria are also of interest with the former valued at £76million.

Andreas Pereira confirms Santos talks

Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira has confirmed that he held talks with Brazilian club Santos during the January transfer window.

Pereira, 23, appeared surplus to requirements under Jose Mourinho but has featured in four fixtures since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer arrived.

“I’m always following [Santos]. I’m a really sick Santista,” he told Esporte Interativo. “There was this speculation that I was going to Santos. I talked to the president, but unfortunately it was not possible.

“I also think that I have to finish a more established career here in Europe. So later, of course, it’s a dream to play in Santos. I told [Santos’s president], he understood, he was very nice to me.”



Source link